Bulletin

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Edited Jun 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Nice module for the church base - just downloaded it and trying to figure out all the bells and whistles according to your screenshots. The one item that still puzzles me is the Bulletin, what is that referring to (alongside website in several options)?

Thanks

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Thanks for downloading and giving ePrayer a try. Indeed there are a lot of options that make the module quite flexible but also a bit difficult to configure.

“Bulletin” is one of the pre-defined Distribution Lists and refers to a printed bulletin distributed at the weekly church service. Open the ePrayer Settings page and find the Distribution Lists section. There you may add/remove/edit the names of custom Distribution Lists. When a user submits a prayer request he/she can select from the check boxes to which Distribution Lists the request will be made visible. Also in the ePrayer Settings you may select a subset of Distribution Lists whose submitted posts will be viewable on the website by anonymous or new (not yet trusted if moderation is enabled) users. Unless otherwise restricted on a per user basis, all other registered users can view posts marked for all means of distribution. Finally, the site administrator who can manage ePrayer users may using the Manage Users control specify that only certain individual users may view requests posted to certain Distribution Lists. Too complicated – I agree! If I ever redo this feature I think I’ll make each Distribution List security role and/or in DNN 6.2 social group based both for visibility of the list’s posts AND for distribution by email or the DNN 6.2 notifications feature.

Here’s an example of how Distribution Lists are used on my church’s website.

1. We have defined (in Settings, Distribution Lists section) the following Distribution Lists: Website, Bulletin (Sunday), Prayer Chain (phone), Antenna (monthly newsletter) and People in Prayer (small group meeting weekly). When submitting a request the user may select one or more means of distribution.

2. Each week the office secretary prints a list of prayer requests to be included in the Bulletin (Sunday) and each month a list of those to be included in the Antenna.

3. Only our designated Prayer Chain leaders have been authorized (by the administrator using the ePrayer Manage Users control) to view requests submitted with the Prayer Chain distribution list checked.

4. Likewise, only our People in Prayer small group leader has been authorized to view requests submitted with the People in Prayer distribution list checked.

In reality, most request submitters check all Distribution Lists boxes unless the request is a sensitive one in which case they leave the “Website” option unchecked as that one is viewable by all web users who can view the module. Also, we have found that most users who are committed to praying regularly for the needs of the church body have subscribed to receive email notifications of all submitted requests.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Bill

Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 3:11 PM
To: bill@wesnetdesigns.com
Subject: Bulletin [ePrayer:360034]

Nice module - just downloaded it and trying to figure out all the bells and whistles according to your screenshots. The one item that still puzzles me is the Bulletin, what is that referring to (alongside website in several options)?

Thanks

Jun 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Thank you for the follow-up reply.....it makes perfect sense now :-)

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I have another question, sorry. On the MY POSTS screen, the created date always displays 1/1/0001, and on the Manage Expired Posts screen, the expire date is always 1/1/0001 as well....is this correct?

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM

On the My Posts screen, the created date should not display 1/1/0001. That is a bug that was a side-effect of my renaming the CreatedDate field to CreatedOnDate in v 5.00.00 to conform to the new audit fields introduced in DNN 5. Unfortunately errors in naming fields in late-bound statements such as the one that binds data to the My Posts grid don’t get picked as errors in Visual Studio. Although I will fix that issue in the next release, you can easily modify the problem file, MyPosts.ascx, to apply the fix:

In DesktopModules\WESNet_EPrayer\MyPosts.ascx find the following line (it’s around line 30):

<asp:BoundField HeaderText="CreatedDate" DataField="CreatedDate" DataFormatString="{0:d}" HeaderStyle-CssClass="GRIDVIEW_Header"/>

Change DataField="CreatedDate" to DataField="CreatedOnDate". Do NOT change the value of the HeaderText attribute in that same line.

As for the expire date always being 1/1/001 on the Manage Expired Posts screen, that would be correct when viewing a status other than “Expired” for those posts which were created with an indefinite expiration (i.e. never expire) rather than one day, month, etc. I should, however, format its display differently, perhaps as “Never Expires”.

Please feel free to let me know about other problems you encounter. Many of the less frequently used features and controls have not been as thoroughly tested as has the normal request display and the request entry form.

Bill

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: Bulletin [ePrayer:360034]

I have another question, sorry. On the MY POSTS screen, the created date always displays 1/1/0001, and on the Manage Expired Posts screen, the expire date is always 1/1/0001 as well....is this correct?

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply - that is appreciated!

However, when I make that change it throws this error:
Error: is currently unavailable. DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: A field or property with the name 'CreatedOnDate' was not found on the selected data source

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Sorry about that – I should have looked more closely at the issue. Unfortunately the true fix cannot be made without a corresponding change to the data-grid’s source class, MyPostInfo.vb which also still exposes this field as a property named CreatedDate and attempts to fill it from a non-longer valid CreatedDate column in the WESNet_EPrayer_Posts table rather than from the correct CreatedOnDate column. I suspect that if you look at the site’s Admin -> Event Viewer you have been getting a silent exception logged each time the My Posts control attempts to bind to its data.

For now, please change MyPosts.ascx back to DataField = “CreatedDate” to stop the ModuleLoadException.

Unfortunately I have started working on EPrayer 06.00.00 which will require DNN 6.2.0 and cannot easily revert my codebase back to EPrayer v 5.00.01 and re-compile/package to make this one change.

Bill

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:04 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply - that is appreciated!

However, when I make that change it throws this error:
Error: is currently unavailable. DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: A field or property with the name 'CreatedOnDate' was not found on the selected data source

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Not a problem, I understand. And I think it's great you will be upgrading the module to be DNN 6.2.0+ standards.

I have 1 more question, if you don't mind:

1. How does the 'Lookup subject Contact Information in this websites member database' work?

THANKS!

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Disregard question - I now see how it is working (by inputting a users full name)

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Edited Jun 26, 2012 at 9:52 PM

What is the use of the Suspended status? I checked the Suspended checkbox in Manage Moderators but the user can still moderate.

Thanks again!

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I’m traveling this week so don’t have a working ePrayer module instance nor the source code in front of me to verify but recall that “Suspended” can be set by the user him/herself (particularly for moderation needed emails sent to moderators) to temporarily turn off email notifications. On the other hand, “Banned” is set by the administrator to temporarily or permanently ban a user from submitting ePrayer requests or updates.

Bill

Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:48 PM

What is the difference between suspended and banned?

Thanks again!

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Oh - so “Suspended” is an email notification suspension feature. Thanks for the clarification.